What is trustea?
The trustea code is designed to evaluate the social, economic, agronomic and environmental performance of Indian tea estates, smallholders and Bought Leaf Factories (BLFs).
It is expected that the compliance with the code not only improves competitiveness of the tea farms but also facilitates the tea farms in achieving compliance with national regulations and international sustainability standards in a step-wise approach. The applicable control points under eleven chapters are required to be adhered to within a four year period, resulting in full compliance in a step wise approach by end of year 3. The India tea code allows producers to show that they operate responsibly – producing quality tea according to strict social and environmental standards. The verification under the code provides manufacturers with the assurance of responsible production and provides opportunities to credibly demonstrate this to their customers.
Why join trustea?
- Technical support on the field
- Strengthen smallholder cooperatives
- Provide training of trainers
- Provide support to estates and smallholders in preparing for the audits and undertake improvements
- Improved consumer safety leading to reputational benefits and better consumer loyalty
- Higher yields addressing security of supply
- Improved hygiene in factories addressing food safety issues.
- Controlled and safe handling /use of pesticides
- Improved environment
- Improved image of Indian tea globally